Your College Student May be Entitled to Accommodations in College

If you have a child that will be entering a college program in the fall, make sure he or she requests accommodations needed to access his or her college education. This could also include testing entities as well as licensing authorities. Once your child has graduated from high school, the Individuals With Disabilities Act (IDEA) no longer protects that child. However, two other federal laws do, namely the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).

One or both of these laws apply to most public and private colleges and require “equal” access while protecting against discrimination of persons with disabilities. Cahill and Associates encourages each parent to become familiar with these laws.

So does this mean that your child will have the same accommodations that he or she had in high school?

The answer is usually no. However, with proper documentation from high school, accommodations such as extended time to complete tests, testing in an alternate location, use of a tape recorder, note taker or other similar accommodations are attainable.

So what do I do if think my child will need accommodations in college?

First, gather all of the documentation demonstrating what accommodations your child was receiving in high school. If your child’s college or university has a department that assists students with disabilities, have your child meet with someone from that department to present the documentation and request the necessary accommodations.

If your child’s college is refusing to provide accommodations to your child, feel free to contact our office.

Comments are closed.